JOB DESCRIPTION: WORSHIP LEADER
• Bachelor’s degree in music
• Evidence of job related experiences or graduate school/seminary experience.
Status: Permanent part-time or Permanent full-time
Reports To: Pastor
Supervises: Music ministry staff and volunteers
Evaluated By: Personnel Committee
Job Purpose: To serve the church by developing and maintaining a well-rounded music program, supervising staff members and volunteers in the music ministry, and supporting the ministries and objective of the church with relevant music programs. To serve the church by developing and maintaining a well-rounded music program, supervising staff members and volunteers in the music ministry, and supporting the ministries and objective of the church with relevant music programs.
This position encompasses planning each worship service and special programs. The senior pastor sets the theme and overall direction of each service, and the worship leader will coordinate all the details that a service encompasses. This position is a pastoral one that requires the individual to serve not solely as a musical leader, but also as a shepherd to the people who serve in this ministry. The Worship Leader shall oversee song and choral selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and lighting enhancements, and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and dramatists.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. In consultation with the Pastor and/or associate pastor(s), plan and conduct the regular services and events of the church with regard to musical contributions, including (but not necessarily limited to) hymns, choral and/or instrumental selections, solos, and special music.
2. Make all arrangements and preparations for the presentation of music for special church services including (but not necessarily limited to) funerals and joint community services.
3. Develop and prepare appropriate seasonal musical presentations for the (If applicable this could extend to senior adult choirs, youth choir, children’s choirs, and other groups.)
4. Schedule and rehearse soloists, small ensembles, and special groups for presentation during services and events.
5. Supervise the church organist, pianist, and all volunteer musicians and support staff with regard to musical preparations, rehearsal and presentation.
6. Responsibility includes, but is not limited to, coordinating practices, selecting music, directing performances, and soliciting volunteers to provide assistance.
The Worship Leader will personally direct or provide for direction, coordination and supervision of active church performing organizations, including (but not necessarily limited to) the following:
All Children’s choirs
Based on interested participants, the Worship Leader may choose to develop other ensembles or rejuvenate prior groups such as Youth Choir, Joy Singers(senior women), King’s Men(Senior Men) Youth Handbell Choir, Adult Handbell Choir, etc.
*The Worship Leader will serve in an Advisory role to New Inspirations.
7. Train the church choirs and other musical ensembles in choral techniques, appreciation of sacred music, leadership, and participation in worship.
8. Organize and supervise recruitment of new volunteers and prospective members into the church musical ensembles and aspects of the music ministry.
9. Prepare an annual Music Ministry budget in collaboration with the Music Committee and Finance Committee.
10. Select and purchase music, musical instruments and equipment, and other such items as needed for the smooth and appropriate operation of the music ministry.
11. Organize and maintain the church music library.
12. Arrange and oversee the timely and adequate maintenance and necessary repairs of all church musical instruments.
13. Attend regular professional music conferences and seminars for personal and ministry enrichment. Travel expenses paid by the church within the church approved budget.
14. Attend church staff meetings, Church Council meetings, and training and/or spiritual meetings, events, and/or retreats and assigned by the Pastor.
15. Attend meetings of the Diaconate and other committee meetings when necessary as a resource and for informational purposes.
16. Represent the church by participation in denominational organizations and related religious events. Travel and expense paid by church within the limits of the church approved budget.
17. Regularly schedule office hours should be posted and adhered to.
This position is compensated according to the salary and benefits schedule set for staff positions in the Personnel Policy.
This position will be evaluated on an annual basis. Any other personnel actions including investigation of complaints, development and implementation of improvement plans, additional evaluations, and/or dismissal are the responsibility of the Personnel Committee. Input will be requested from and information shared with the Music Committee and/or Board of Deacons as needed.
Send resume to: First Baptist Church 409 Main St.; Reidsville, NC 27320